If plunging your spoon into a piping-hot chocolate cake and watching molten cannabis-infused chocolate spill from within sounds like your idea of a decadent experience, we’ve got the recipe for you. These single-serving chocolate lava cakes are each infused with 5mg CBD (you can sub a THC tincture, if you prefer) and are pretty much guaranteed to bring you back for a second serving in the same sitting. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, of course.
Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Lava Cakes
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 cakes
Approximate dosage: 5mg per cake*
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus more for buttering the ramekins
- 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 full eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 20 milligrams’ worth of CBD tincture (you can use THC tincture if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons flour, plus more for dusting the ramekins
- Preheat your oven to 450˚F.
- Place the butter in a bowl and microwave to melt. Add the chocolate to the hot butter and stir until the chocolate melts.
- In a medium bowl, combine the two eggs, two additional yolks, sugar, and your cannabis tincture and beat until light and thick, about one minute. Add the egg mixture and the flour to the melted chocolate and beat until fully incorporated.
- Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce molds or ramekins (make sure not to miss any spots, or the cakes will stick). Tap out the excess flour. Divide the batter among the molds. (At this point you can refrigerate them for up to three hours if you’d like; just bring them back to room temperature before baking.)
- Place the ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until the cakes have puffed up a bit, the tops are barely set, about 7–9 minutes. The cakes should still jiggle slightly when shaken. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for one more minute.
- Put a plate on top of the ramekin and (using a potholder to protect your hand) carefully invert the cake onto the plate. Let it sit for 10 seconds, then lift up the ramekin. Enjoy immediately.
Pro Tip: Add a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream to the cakes if you like. Some cherry or raspberry preserves also accompany this dessert well. Bon appétit!
This recipe was developed in partnership with Tilray. Tilray and Leafly are both owned by Privateer Holdings.
*Note: The amount of cannabis tincture specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your tincture and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.